Here are 15 fascinating facts that you might not know about the English language:
- English is the official language of 67 countries.
- 11% of the entire English language is just the letter E.
- The word ‘set’ has the highest number of definitions.
- “Go!” is the shortest grammatically correct sentence in English.
- The two most common words in English are I and you.
- The oldest English word that is still in use is ‘town’.
- 90% of English text consists of just 1000 words.
- The most common adjective used in English is ‘good’.
- The most commonly used noun is ‘time’.
- The first English dictionary was written in 1755.
- Month, orange, silver, and purple do not rhyme with any other word.
- Over 80% of the information stored on computers worldwide is in English.
- English actually originates from what is now called North West Germany and the Netherlands.
- About 4,000 words are added to the dictionary each year.
- 1/4 of the world’s population speaks at least some English.